Let the snow sports begin!

It’s that time of the year again! Time for feet upon feet (hopefully) of that white precipitation we love so much here in the northeastern U.S., and the many outdoor sports opportunities that come along with it. Be it skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, sledding, ice skating, hiking, or some other method of gaining forward momentum during the months when the mercury drops below 32 degrees (F), I think it’s critically important to get outdoors and experience all that this change in season has to offer. It’s an outstanding way to maintain a base level of physical fitness, reward yourself at the close of a lengthy and challenging semester, and free yourself from the stress of daily life, even if just for an afternoon.

Seeing these snow showers creeping over us in October got me hoping this winter season would start early. I'm still waiting patiently for more snow.

For all you longtime student snow sports enthusiasts out there, I formally invite you to prepare yourself and your gear for what will hopefully be another epic winter season. For the rest of you, let me extend a warm invitation to come join us!

If you’ve been spending the past few years hibernating from December through early March, cursing the sun for rising late and setting early, and grumbling at the clouds above for heaping so much of that white stuff atop your home and area roadways, it’s time to turn all those negatives into positives! Get involved in a snow sport that appeals to you.

There are many ways to accomplish this. Check out some of the many excellent ski and snowboard destinations the northeast has to offer. Many of them provide lessons led by top notch instructors (I’m one of them, over at Gore Mountain in North Creek, NY) who can help you break into the snow sport of your choosing. If you like exploring the outdoors in a group, the Adventure Club here at The College of Saint Rose may be for you.

Hopefully the video below will further entice you. It’ll take you through my first trip of the 2011-2012 season out to the Killington Ski Resort in Vermont. Leave me a comment detailing your favorite winter activity, won’t you? I hope to see you out and about this season. Enjoy!

6 comments for “Let the snow sports begin!

1. Kayla Germain
    December 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I took skiing lessons once when I was around 12 and, without going into the story, am terrified of the sport- but that video definitely makes me want to give it another shot! For now I’ll stick with my favorite (and less adventurous) winter sport- snowshoeing.

• Steve Felano
      December 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Kayla,

You definitely should give skiing another try! It’s true what they say – if you can walk, you can ski. In some ways, it’s actually more advantageous to get into the sport later in life as opposed to when you’re eleven or twelve years old. It saves you the trouble of unlearning all the bad habits you picked up as an adolescent skier. Once you develop your balance, edging, rotary, and pressure skills, shredding expert-rated trails on skis will become as easy as walking a few miles in snowshoes.

2. Courtney C
    December 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM

That was a wicked video and it was equally as cool that you could only see your shadow skiing. As for my favorite winter activity… I l-o-v-e to ice skate!!

• Steve Felano
      December 15, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Courtney,

Glad you enjoyed the edit – I certainly enjoyed shooting the video 🙂 The shadow viewpoint was a happy coincidence. I was hoping to get more headroom in the shot, but what you saw is the highest vantage point I can get from the camera mount on the front of my helmet. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but it worked. In the future, I hope to set up a pole mount that will provide a better view of what’s happening around me. I’ll try to get this set before the first few significant snowfalls in the area, so my first runs through the trees are recorded for posterity 🙂 I’m a big nerd when it comes to wearable HD cameras (can’t you tell?). There are just so many cool things you can do with them. Stay tuned for more edits later in the season.

3. Hilary
    December 14, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I enjoy skiing, snowshoeing and ice skating! & I also go to killington (quite often)–got my first season pass this year!

• Steve Felano
      December 15, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Hilary,

That’s so great to hear! I love meeting fellow northeast skiers. I’m hoping to get back out to the land of Ben & Jerry sometime soon. Maybe I’ll see you at Killington at some point.

What do you think?